Protect Our Care released a fact sheet this morning that explains how Medicaid supports people with disabilities, and how the Trump Administration’s proposed cuts to the program could harm people with disabilities.
By the numbers:
- 8.7 million nonelderly adults with disabilities depend on Medicaid for care.
- More than 1 in 3 adults under age 65 enrolled in Medicaid lives with at least one disability.
- Nearly 45 percent of adults with disabilities have Medicaid coverage.
- More than half of adults with disabilities covered through Medicaid earn less than 100 percent of the federal poverty line (FPL).
- Medicaid helps people who need long-term care to stay in their communities. Of nonelderly people with disabilities who rely on Medicaid for long-term care, 80 percent receive community-based care, while only 20 percent receive institutional care.